Tuesday, October 25, 2011


My Non-Imaginary Imaginary Friend



So my best friend K is amazing. She's kind of like what I would imagine as a friend for myself only she's real. Other people can see her. I'm sure of it. We met my freshman year in law school during a GLBT law club meeting. 

She was the co-president and I had a huge key chain and was still clinging on to my "bi-sexual" period (which she saw right through).  She was inquisitive and interesting. She invited me over to watch Law and Order SVU and then we went to get Chinese food. She asked pointed questions and because I had no reason to be guarded she had no reason to be jaded. We got along. We listened to each other. We heard each other. We got each other and then "we" were born.

 
Then came marriage. Platonic life mates. First we started studying together. Then she found out my room mate had a piano and she would come over to play it. She got a key and we became roommates (minus the little formality of actually having the same address).  
 We think the same things are funny. We are amused at the same stupid people (and MAN are there a lot of them). We have the same understanding of one another and same opinion of how we fit together. She is mine and I am hers it's that simple. Forever. Yup. There is only ever space between us.

When I got sick she was by my beside every day. She made me laugh and brought me ice cream and played games with me and saw me off when I was life flighted back to Chicago.  She encourages me to do better, to be better, to live better. She is always driving herself and that makes me want to run and catch up with her. She tells me that as long as I love her I'm doing everything I need to do to be in her life.


Having someone around who is that genuine and that true has been incredible. I know that if anyone truly ever harmed me she would find a way to legally set them on fire. I know that I can't have certain people in my life because she wouldn't allow it and she is right to make me set better standards for myself. She believes that she herself hung the moon and if she has decided to have you in your life then you better believe that you have done something equally as great. Having someone so phenomenal in your life who demands that you too be phenomenal is great. But she is more than that. She is reachable (if she thinks you should reach her).


She is my friend. She eats the frosting off cake.  She likes Paris Hilton. She wears funny t-shirts. She likes to veg out.  She cares deeply but she might not let you know it. She can be totally and legitimately aloof. . .and she WILL let you know she does not care. She is impossible to totally figure out but you MUST figure her out. She is just K. And together we are just magic. Super friends. Fabulous. Wonderful. We are just the coolest superstars you know. . .if we want you to see the story of us behind the masks we use to make faces at you average people :P



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww thats all a really want in life, a friend like that!